Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Floppy Discs Saved My Research

07:50:00PM, 05/09/10 AEST-08:25:00PM, 05/09/10 AEST

The floppy disc is an almost forgotten technology. However, I think it is a vital role in a developer's OS projects. E.g.

A Tinkernut.com tutorial on OS programming used floppy technology. Mainly for it's multiple "layers" of encoding and storage to allow for bootloading and filesystem storage abilities. He explains that more if you watch this video (http://tinkernut.com/archives/2326).

Also, for some computers that have no working drivers for their USB ports and the CD drive is strangely dysfunctional, the only resort is floppy drives. E.g.

 I have an old IBM Aptiva running Windows 98 and all the instruction manuals and all the software intact. I use it to study Windows 98 and technology before registries (see previous posts) and logfiles.

1.44MB IBM floppy discs are what I'm using. for my laptop, I have an external USB floppy disc drive (it's a LaCie one).

So that's why floppy drives and floppy discs should be used a bit more. Not alot...maybe 15% more?

Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment